LINKS AND IMAGES WILL OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW.

Friday 4 February 2011

Textile Heritage Daffodils Bookmark Kit

Several weeks ago, I asked my mother if she would be willing to take me to Betty Stitchkit. It was her first visit to the shop, as well as mine.

While I was searching for what I wanted, my mother spent time browsing around the shop, and pointing out various things she liked. I should explain that my mother’s not a cross-stitcher, but does have an appreciation of arts and crafts.

Dotted around the walls of the shop were large cross-stitched pictures (for display purposes). My mother fell in love with a picture from the Venice Palazzo collection, by the designer Michael Powell.



I told my mother that if she was willing to foot the bill for the kit, and to have it framed, I would stitch it for her. However, I then went on to add that it would probably take me several months to stitch. My mother politely declined my offer, although for the life of me, I can’t think why.

Anyway, my mother had stopped to look at some bookmark kits, so I asked her if she would like to choose one that she liked, seeing as she had been good enough to act as a glorified chauffeur. She opted for a Textile Heritage Daffodils Bookmark kit, and this is the finished result.

Textile Heritage Daffodils Bookmark


Unlike the Dimensions Gold Petites Elegant Bookmarks kit, the Textile Heritage Daffodils Bookmark kit included a ready-made tassel, and felt backing.

Adding the tassel initially proved to be a little tricky. The instructions were as follows:



No matter how hard I tried, I could not pull the tassel loop through the fabric, so it was a matter of having to use my initiative and find something that would gently widen the hole for the tassel loop. I ended up using a metal skewer, and thankfully it did the trick.

4 comments:

Rainy Day Crafter said...

I had exactly the same problem with mine. In the end I attached the tassle to a small safety pin and used that to push through the hole - a bit easier than trying to force the cord through.

CrazyStitcher said...

I think I'll have to make a mental note of that, in case there's a next time. :-)

Anonymous said...

The daffodils look gorgeous! :) And I love your blog name :)

While reading your blog about the tassel problem it struck me that a screwdriver could be effective. My husband helped me with it and it works brilliantly!

x Lynette.

CrazyStitcher said...

Lynette - Thank you for your lovely comment about the bookmark and my blog name. While my posts may not reflect it, I've always been somewhat 'quirky', so the name struck me as being rather apt.

I like your suggestion of using a screwdriver... Much better than using a metal skewer!